Skip to main content

Face beat by....

For a long time, Classic powder has comfortably occupied the space allocated to powder in my head. Every time it breaks (which is practically every month), I walk into a supermarket and pick up  another one. I never consider other options or see reason to change. No, I was faithful to classic. Until recently.

Staring at my face in the office restroom mirror at 5:00 pm one day, I asked myself 'who would imagine  I wore powder this morning'. Just like that, my commitment to Classic evaporated, quickly replaced with a desire for a new powder.

My make up artist (who has made me up the two times I ever desired proper make up in my entire life) told me a number of times that Milani would be perfect for my face. I believed him, I still do. Only that Rita Dominic looks so flawless in the Zaron billboard at the foot of third mainland bridge. No lines, no smears, no colours- such flawless beauty makes me want to look like that  everyday. It somehow never registered in my head that she must have received a 'beating for the gods' from a 'make up artist of life' and that the picture assaulting me must have won at least a 100 others to make it to that position.

So the last time I walked into Blenco, I asked for Milani, then Zaron, then Milani or Zaron. Fortunately for her, the Zaron agent heard me and offered me a sample session to see what my Zaron shade will be. Whisk, whisk, flush, flush, her brush went across my face. She handed me a mirror and the image it revealed under their energy saver bulb propelled me to willingly cough out 3,500 for the powder.

I walked by the Classic shelf without sparing my long term N800 companion a second glance. It was finally over, my Zaron was in my purse, I could already see my flawless Zaron days ahead.

My people, my dreams have not survived,my expectations have been dashed. As my amateur hands apply the powder to my foundation-less face, it looks good but not like Rita. Two hours later when I stop by the restroom, the mirror taunts me, seemingly asking what happened to my face. The powder is there but so is a shine I never used to have. Something about my image in the mirror reminds me of akara that took a long siesta is Power oil. I cannot deal.

Apparently, I should have researched more before buying Zaron. It's not that Zaron is not good, my skill set just do not have room for it. Maybe it was time to move on from Classic but the recommendation from my Make up artist should have been enough for me.

And that is how life is, God and people ahead who obviously know better tell us what to do. No, we refuse. We look at Instagram and choose to be like the people we see there, completely unaware of the processes behind their display and the differences in our personalities, dreams, purpose and future. Your 'skin type' is different, what works for others might not work for you. Ask the one who made you and understands your formation, he alone has the script.

Next time you are tempted to make someone you hardly know your 'goals', remember the words of Solomon- It is dangerous to have zeal without knowledge.

Looks like I will have to look for Milani after all. What do you think?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A WIFE IS LIKE A CAR!!!

I love Nigerians!   We are the definition of the phrase: ‘your brother’s keeper’. We watch out for others so much it is almost too much.   It could be almost annoying at times, at other times it could be the saving grace in certain situations. For instance, in my quest to get to work this morning, I had to wait a few minutes at car-wash bus-stop for the God-sent who was going to help me to work. As I waited, a young woman driving one of those extremely feminine Beetle cars parked and got out of her car.   She hurriedly opened the bonnet and discovered the car was overheating. Leaving the bonnet open, she went to her car to get a bottle of water. She was about to pour the water into the carburetor   when one of the LAWMA officials   who had already crossed the road to go wherever it is he was going hurriedly crossed back screaming: “madam, no pour the water, no pour the water!”. Shocked, she paused to look. In no time, the man was standing by her and explaining the effect of po

WHAT NO ONE TELLS THE BRIDE

You know how politicians and politically aware people eagerly await a new government’s 100 days in office? Publications highlighting the government’s achievements in the time frame, bearing assurances and fresh promises to silence wailing wailers flood the media. 100 days in office is usually a big deal. Since my husband is so into politics and so not into anniversaries, I decided to ignore our 3 months month-niversary and celebrate 100 days in marriage instead. Well, it didn’t quite work. And that’s perhaps where I should start. There are several things the bride does not hear before she becomes a wife. Many she is outrightly not told, others she is too happy or too busy to understand. Then she gets married and after the long awaited event, her ‘eyes clear’.  Sometimes, the giddy feeling lasts till the honeymoon is over, but when she returns home with her husband, reality hits. Even when the new wife has the most understanding husband and uninterested far-away in-laws

YOU SABI WHO IM BE BEFORE???

Call me weird but I enjoy bus rides. Yes, I do not mean comfortable air conditioned buses that belong to my father, brother, company or whoever you imagine I would know who might have a bus. I mean Danfo buses! Ok, I am certain I would like it more if the seats weren’t as many and it didn’t carry so many people at the same time. It would get even better if the windows actually work and the doors don’t fall off in motion. Yes, it would be really great if we didn’t have to almost lap each other all through the ride and the half naked conductor did not have to hang on the bus just next to you with your nose just around his hair ridden abdomen. Can people just stop sleeping in buses? I mean even if you have to sleep, can you do it with some finesse, I don’t even know your name so why should I want your head on my shoulder or the souvenir of your spittle on my shirt? Then, can you be kind enough to keep your baby in check; it’s just not fair for him or her to cry all through the tr