Skip to main content

I never experred it!

I am perpetually amused by commercial buses in Lagos. The kind of drama that happens in those buses will shame award winning writers. Just the other day, I found myself in a bus destined for drama. You see, the commercial bus was a family business featuring the husband  as driver and the wife as conductor. A female conductor is enough to cause side remarks and rancor, not to talk of a dress wearing, ponytail packing, English speaking one. Passengers, especially male, just could not get over her peeping thighs exposed by her dress which ascended by default as she turned this way and that asking " please, where are you going?" "Give me my money please".

At first, it was merely hilarious, till one half drunk middle aged man accused her of disrespecting him despite the fact that he was probably older and richer than her driver husband. Only a few women can stomach such debasing comments, so she served it to him hot, reminding him he should be grateful he was even allowed into the bus and sympathizing with the woman unfortunate enough to marry such a miserable man. The husband/driver pitched in, trying to calm the storm, but it couldn't be helped. The beehive had been poked, the battle raged till we got to Ajah and the woman finally screamed 'last bus-stop- all passengers please'. As I sat in the corner of the chair I had rented with my #150 fare, I kept thinking to myself...when this woman agreed to marry this man, she couldn't have imagined this day would come, she didn't bargain for this.

And that is exactly how life is, it keeps giving us way more than we bargained for. Amazes me always how life never runs out of surprises. For instance, I love corn, roasted, boiled, cooked with beans..just give me corn. So the other day when unclebae and I had business outside Lagos, I insisted we buy fresh corn on our way back. So we bought corn, unpeeled, and I was quite delighted at how big they were. Till hours later when I unveiled the content of the husks. Alas looks are deceptive. The smaller husks mostly had the biggest yield. Nature had once again surprised me. As she does all the time. With water melon that is only sweet in the middle and onions that look great on the outside but are completely rotten and oranges that are green outside but ripe inside and jobs that appear amazing till the real work starts and relationships that begin on a high only to deplete faster than a Michelin tire poked with a nail by LASTMA officials on the prowl for unlawful parking. Mostly, we hardly expect what life sends our way. 
Rebecca, loved by her husband could not have imagined she would have issues getting pregnant. No one could have told the very beautiful Sarah that she would one day arrange for her uncultured housemaid to sleep with her husband. David could never have pictured himself as a fugitive, constantly on the run for his life even after he had been anointed king so many years ago. It could never have occurred to Job that he would become childless in just one day. Just the same way you didn't ever imagine that relationship will end. The same way you cannot believe you are the one everyone is counselling about proper husband finding behavior. The same way you cannot fathom that the husband who could not live without you can no longer stand your sight and IVF is an option you are now considering. I bet you didn't think you would be looking for another job so soon or contemplating sleeping with the bald headed baboon that is your boss or begging your arrogant brother for money to float your business.

But it is not always so bad, sometimes life's surprises are pleasant. Like that guy you met randomly at that program who has become the love of your life. Or the job you grudgingly applied for that has now changed your level or the pregnancy that happened(or didn't happen) when you had nearly given up or the professor transfer that made your timely graduation possible. We tend to dwell on the evil life serves us but a lot of good come to us that we hardly deserve. Sometimes, I think there is so much bad in the world so that good is accorded its deserved value.

What's the point of it all? That while we shouldn't fold our hands waiting for life to happen, we should prepare for surprises as we do our part to make the best of the things within our control.That hope, love and trust should not end with the twist of fate. When times change and sweet nothings become annoying statements. Or you lose your status as the office star and another month ends with your plans just still plans. It's only a turn, it is not the end. That happy moments and good times should be enjoyed, after all, we never know what can happen next. So we make the most of every time, laughing with our whole heart, loving with our whole being and basking in the gift of today without worrying about tomorrow.

Lastly and most importantly, that we are mere humans, pencils in the hands of the creator and we will only struggle and wander without His directions, Maybe life's surprises can get more pleasant if you have the assurance of God's word. Maybe your steps will be more sure and your peace more assured if you know what your maker has planned for you. Maybe Jesus is just not the way to heaven, but the way to live a fulfilled life on earth as well. But, how would you know if you never find out. Tired of life's surprises? Seeking a surer anchor? He says..ask of me and I will show you wonderful things in store for you. I can only tell you what has worked for me. In my short life I have come to discover the He is indeed the way, the truth and the life. How can you find that way? It always begins with a prayer.

While we ruminate on the serious stuff, let's have fun this evening. What are the most unexpected ways life surprised you this week?



   Bunmi Aramide


   @lofemide

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A WIFE IS LIKE A CAR!!!

I love Nigerians!   We are the definition of the phrase: ‘your brother’s keeper’. We watch out for others so much it is almost too much.   It could be almost annoying at times, at other times it could be the saving grace in certain situations. For instance, in my quest to get to work this morning, I had to wait a few minutes at car-wash bus-stop for the God-sent who was going to help me to work. As I waited, a young woman driving one of those extremely feminine Beetle cars parked and got out of her car.   She hurriedly opened the bonnet and discovered the car was overheating. Leaving the bonnet open, she went to her car to get a bottle of water. She was about to pour the water into the carburetor   when one of the LAWMA officials   who had already crossed the road to go wherever it is he was going hurriedly crossed back screaming: “madam, no pour the water, no pour the water!”. Shocked, she paused to look. In no time, the man was standing by her and explaining the effect of po

ON A LIGHTER NOTE...........

I have been in somewhat of a mood this week. A lot of things on my mind, not altogether serious or bad, just thought provoking occurrences and yes, good ones too. Even the good ones got me thinking. For instance, I am getting a lot of positive feedback about the blog and it is mighty encouraging. My aim is to provoke deep thinking as well as create an escape from the stress that comes with living. And so far, responses have proven that it is being achieved. Yet, with successes come bigger challenges.  My first success is that I started, finally! After much thought, consideration, procrastination and feet dragging, I finally started. That immediately brings with it the challenge of continuing, one that seems oh so simple but isn't quite elementary. Its not enough to start, I must continue. Next big success, people are reading and loving it. That is so flattering but again so challenging, it means I must ensure that the write ups do not just stay good, they must keep getting bet

YOU SABI WHO IM BE BEFORE???

Call me weird but I enjoy bus rides. Yes, I do not mean comfortable air conditioned buses that belong to my father, brother, company or whoever you imagine I would know who might have a bus. I mean Danfo buses! Ok, I am certain I would like it more if the seats weren’t as many and it didn’t carry so many people at the same time. It would get even better if the windows actually work and the doors don’t fall off in motion. Yes, it would be really great if we didn’t have to almost lap each other all through the ride and the half naked conductor did not have to hang on the bus just next to you with your nose just around his hair ridden abdomen. Can people just stop sleeping in buses? I mean even if you have to sleep, can you do it with some finesse, I don’t even know your name so why should I want your head on my shoulder or the souvenir of your spittle on my shirt? Then, can you be kind enough to keep your baby in check; it’s just not fair for him or her to cry all through the tr